Thursday, March 15, 2007

Quick Trip to Shriner's

On Monday, Petra and I took a quick trip to Shriner's while Mom watched Talia. Really, we just drove to the hospital and back, we didn't spend any time in SLC, otherwise I would have given you Utahn's a call. I love Shriner's. Some people in our area have implied that it's not as good of a hospital as Primary Children's because it's not affiliated with the Church, but they have been absolutely wonderful to us. Monday, Petra had to have her braces adjusted because they were causing a pressure sore on her left ankle, but the problem was quickly resolved. The orthatist just moved the strap further up her ankle. They have a fun playground outside the hospital and we played there for a couple of minutes before and after the appointment to work the wiggles out. Petra's favorite was the swing. She wanted me to push her as high as I could and did NOT want to stop, even to slide. They have these really cool metal pipes with mallets that play music when you hit them and big drums at the playground, too (it's an outdoor playground!). It also happened to be a truly beautiful day. I enjoyed doing something a little different for once. I am happy staying home, but it's nice to have a change of pace once in a while.

1 comment:

Crista said...

The Equal Access Playground that is going to be built at Tautphaus Park will have a "Sound Garden" as part of the equipment. It will also have a "poured-in-place" surface, navigable by walkers, crutches, wheel chairs, etc. It will be really colorful too; the committee is just now designing the colors for the poured-in-place. The first phase should be installed late summer. I can't wait to take Petra there! I'm (sort of) on the committee, meaning I attend the meetings and try to help out with fund raisers but I'm not one of the "movers and shakers." It's a real learning experience for me. They have to raise something like $300,000, and they're doing it one luncheon, golf tournament, fun run, etc. at a time. I admire the core committee members so much for spending all this time, for several years, making this happen for the kids of Idaho Falls.