Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Hate my Stomach, But More Importantly, It Hates Me

So, you may or may not know that I have basically always gotten terrible stomach aches every so often. This got worse after having my kids, adding in horrible, persistent, long-term heartburn. Now, (or maybe always, I'm realizing in retrospect) I'm having a lot of trouble with constipation (didn't want to know that? Stop reading. It gets worse) I've gone to Doctors. They've run tests. Allergy tests, thyroid tests, blood tests. Whatever. Needless to say, the best answer I've gotten is "A fairly severe case of irritable bowel syndrome" and all I can do is "experiment to see what helps and what makes it worse. What works for one person makes it much worse for another." So very helpful. I haven't found a single thing that helps yet. Please forgive me if I seem a little snide. It's midnight, and I am very tired, but I can't lie down because the heartburn is so bad.

Is this horrible? Not really. Is there worse out there? Of course. I just get sick of going to Doctors and having them tell me that there is nothing that they can do for me and I will likely suffer from the current ailment for the foreseeable future.

If you will please excuse me, I think I will go and see if I can fall asleep sitting up (something I have trouble doing under the best of circumstances, but you never know!)

1 comment:

Crista said...

I KNOW what causes my stomach problems - sugar, whole wheat, too much salad, raw vegetables, milk products. Basically everything except oatmeal. The odd thing is sometimes I can eat something, and the next time I do it makes me sick. Or bloats me up really bad. Or gives me a stomach ache.
I remember when you were a little girl and had a stomach ache every morning before school. I took you to the doctor and he said, "Yeh, my daughter had that too and we never did figure out what was causing it." Helpful.