Sunday, June 8, 2008

Current Health Crisis

Last night, I had just barely fallen asleep when I suddenly woke up in the worst pain that I have ever experienced (excepting perhaps when Talia was born.) I had a fireball in my throat and my entire chest and upper back hurt. I took three Tums, but that didn't do anything, and then I threw up. I was still in agony for several minutes more when I couldn't take it anymore.

I woke up Dusty. He gave me two pepto-bismal tablets, but that didn't do anything, either. Finally, I asked him to take me to the emergency room. We ended up waiting there for three hours before they finally saw me. I was, of course, completely miserable, and I felt awful for Dusty because he was obviously exhausted. The only thing the doctor did was to give me some strong painkiller and anti-nausea medicine, as well as an antacid with a throat numbing medicine in it. It did help quite a lot. But now, I need to go in and have a camera stuck down my throat to see if I have ulcers. I have suffered from frequent heartburn for a long time now--I've even been on medication for it for a while--but this was absolutely beyond anything that I have ever experienced before.

Dusty and I didn't get home until 6 AM (fortunately, my mom came down and slept in our bed in case the kids had any problems--thanks, Mom!) I went straight to bed and slept until noon. Poor Dusty, I don't even know how much longer he got to sleep, but I'm pretty sure it was only a couple of hours. He has been so tired all day, and I feel really badly about that.

*sigh I am twenty-two, I would like to remind the universe. Twenty-two! I have seven children and a body that is falling apart, and I'm only twenty-two. I really hate to think what sixty is going to look like.

2 comments:

Crista said...

Leah, I am so sorry you keep having all these health problems. I tried to give you a healthy body, but it seems like you've always had more than your share of sickness. Maybe they'll figure out what the problem is and help you fix it, or at least manage it. Life isn't fair.

Tri-Mom said...

Sorry about your health problems. I hope you can get some medical help and also that you can develop some good health habits. Health is something all of us desire and many seek for far and wide, often paying hefty fees for empty promises of health. For most the answer is simple, like the Sunday School answer of "read the scriptures and pray" it's "exercise and eat right". Your early 20s is a great time to develop good health habits. My 30s have been healthier and happier than my 20s, in part because of the health habits I started in my 20s. Small changes can make a difference and with the support of a spouse it's easier to stick to a plan. Good luck on your journey.